Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Pizza Dough

from a previous post...

Russian Pirozhki Dough

(Yeah my spell checker doesn't like Pirozhki either. My wife called it Pirogues which is Polish.)

Anyway.

1 package of yeast
1/4 cup lukewarm water
1 cup milk
3 1/2 cups sifted flour
2 eggs
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter melted

Since the recipe says to"soften the yeast in the water" the author was working in the days of cake yeast? I haven't seen cake yeast since my stepmother told my sister to eat it as a cure for her acne.

Sorry but I don't have time for the procedures which are pretty weird.

In the end I got a nice pliant dough which I rolled out into circles and folded over a square of turkey meat loaf. I didn't follow the meat filling recipe since the meat loaf was left over and pretty tasty. It called for baking the "turnover" at 425 for 15 minutes. They were done way before. I took them out early at around 9 minutes. I didn't check the time. I looked at the Pirozhki's and they were brown, some almost burnt which freaked me out.

I tend to trust cookbook authors.

I'll follow up in another post about the procedure. You're supposed to bring the milk to a boil, cool to lukewarm, add the softened yeast( added to 1/4 C lukewarm water), add about half the flour and beat until smooth. Cover and let stand until"light" 30 minutes or longer.

Then the other ingredients are mixed, some set aside, and you're supposed to knead the dough 8-10 minutes until elastic. I did eight minutes. I can't believe all the hype out there about no-knead breads,what a bunch of wusses.

No comments: