Sunday, December 14, 2008

Streetside Moochi

Life in Kickapoo Center at the Turn of the Century


Streetside Moochi is about superstitions. Specifically-shoes. It's inspiration was the novel A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseni. He also wrote The Kite Runner. I decided not to continue with the drizzle about working at Wal-Mart. "Enough is enough," to quote Barrack Obama.


Incidentally, it was drizzling this morning as I let the Pooch out. Every fifteen minutes he appears on the deck railing closest to the house. He bangs on the window with his paw. "I wonder, who has trained whom after the fourth time I open the deck door.


“A quarrel will follow if you put your left shoe on first, unless you put it on unintentionally on a Friday.”


I think of my Yugoslavian stepmother who spread salt on the bedroom floor at night to determine whether ghosts walked in her shoes while she slept.


“It is an ill omen to hang two shoes tied together.”


I wonder if the LL Bean gum boots still hang tied together on a nail in garage.


“Putting shoes on a bed invites death into the family.”


It is bad luck to put new shoes on a bed (or a table) .

It comes from the tradition of dressing a corpse in new clothes and shoes and laying them out so everyone can give their respects) - (UK / Scotland)


To undo a superstition look at yourself or your tongue in a mirror and smile.


A belief not based upon reason or knowledge, so says Wikipedia.


It’s good luck to wear yellow underwear.

I don't have any yellow underwear.

No comments: